Environmental Services Technician
Company: Houston Methodist
Location: Sugar Land
Posted on: November 9, 2019
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital
16655 Southwest Freeway
Sugar Land, TX 77479
Job Type: PRN
Posted Date: May 29, 2019
Work Shift: EVENING
Work Week: PRN (As needed) Work week will vary. May include
holidays and weekends.
At Houston Methodist, the Environmental Services Technician
position performs a variety of general as well as moderately
complex cleaning tasks in assigned specialty areas to provide a
safe and attractive environment for patients, guests, and staff.
This position maintains environmental and infection control
standards within established policies and procedures. In addition,
the Environmental Services Technician position follows Association
of Operating Room Nurses (AORN) standards for turnover and terminal
cleaning of procedure rooms. This position works with floor
maintenance equipment and chemicals as well as handling and
interaction with hazardous materials for appropriate disposal,
conference room set ups and linen distribution, collection and
tracking, as appropriate.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED Refer to departmental
""Scope of Service"" and ""Provision of Care"" plans, as
applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations
served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently
demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional,
ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth,
dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model
for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by
following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive
Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their
needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports
byenabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable
to the given job PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are
essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Interacts in a positive, professional manner with patients,
family and staff. (EF)
- Actively participates in meetings, huddles and with other team
members using positive communication. (EF)
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a
dynamic, team focused work unit to achieve optimal results. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Responds promptly and positively to requests for assistance
with directions and information from patients, staff and visitors.
- Promptly responds to all assignments to create an environment
that is conducive for healing. Communicates and documents any
facility or patient related issues to management, as appropriate.
- Performs efficient room cleaning processes ensuring timely
patient admissions. (EF) QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Follows department process for room cleaning and discharge
inspections, as appropriate, with the goal of meeting or exceeding
HCAHPS cleanliness scores. (EF)
- Achieves discharge, daily room cleaning and assigned area
turn-around times, as appropriate. (EF)
- During discharge activity, tracks, logs, and notifies
appropriate management of safety and repair needs for equipment.
- Follows policies, procedures, and safety rules. Corrects minor
safety hazards and observes standard infection control precautions
and complies with OSHA standards. (EF)
- Performs one or more of the following: (EF)
- Follows proper cleaning/maintenance procedures for all floor
types utilizing equipment, as appropriate.
- Collects, transports and disposes of solid/biohazard waste
through proper procedures.
- Follows identified cleaning procedures, which may include
utilizing specialty equipment, in assigned areas (e.g. surgical,
procedural or isolation areas, etc.).
- Uses appropriate transporting techniques for clean or soiled
linen and assists with quality assurance by examining, identifying
and rejecting poor quality linen. FINANCE - 10%
- Appropriately uses and stores chemicals, paper goods, supplies,
and equipment utilized during a shift. Reports, tracks and assesses
wasteful practices. (EF)
- Manages time effectively and prioritize department daily tasks,
minimizing incidental overtime. (EF) GROWTH/INNOVATION -
- Assumes responsibility for growth and development. Participates
in continuing education and in-service programs. Actively
participates in EVS shared governance, meetings or huddles by
contributing ideas towards improving the efficiency and
effectiveness of department processes. (EF)
- Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by
engaging coworkers in learning opportunities that are valuable and
in alignment with business objectives. (EF) This job description is
not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform
other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston
Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and
responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include:
GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full
completion of post-secondary education, etc.) preferred EXPERIENCE
- One year of experience preferred CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND
- Valid Texas Driver's License preferred
- US Department Of Transportation Hazardous Materials
Certification within 90 days of employment (renewed every 3
- Note: Current incumbents have 120 days from this job
description revision date to acquire certification KNOWLEDGE,
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely
perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills,
competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the
English language necessary to perform the essential functions of
this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or
employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians,
family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a
customer service focus and application of positive language
- Demonstrates the ability to access information both in the
department and within the hospital system to support the department
- Multi-task oriented, ability to complete work within designated
- Ability to accurately and efficiently perform duties with
- Demonstrate efficient and safe use of housekeeping equipment
- Ability to effectively communicate in a manner consistent with
a customer service focus
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which
Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not
engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person
employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis
of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity,national origin, age, disability, status as a protected
veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans
Since 1998, Houston MethodistSugar Land Hospital has been serving
Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely
on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that
was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. With 243
licensed beds, 20 operating rooms and over 1,900employees, Houston
Methodist Sugar Land Hospital was designed to provide
comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
At Houston Methodist, we take our responsibility as the region---s
premier health care system seriously.With a national reputation for
excellence in patient care, education and research, we hold
ourselves --- and the careers we build --- to a higher standard. We
invite you to find your place among the best of the best, and to
stand with us in earning the trust of millions of people across the
Houston Metro area every day.Houston Methodist is comprised of a
nationally recognized academic medical center and six community
hospitals with a history of health care innovation. For the tenth
straight year we have been named to FORTUNE---s list of ---100 Best
Companies to Work For--- and have also been ranked the no.1
hospital in Texas by U.S. News & World Report.Discover the
difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
Keywords: Houston Methodist, Sugar Land , Environmental Services Technician, Professions , Sugar Land, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!