Patient Services Representative - Neurology (Sugar Land)
Company: Houston Methodist
Location: Sugar Land
Posted on: March 16, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Patient Services Representative is
responsible for performing patient check in/check out functions and
appointment scheduling to facilitate the patient visit experience.
This position supports timely, accurate claims submission and may
perform registration and/or other revenue cycle functions. Other
duties include providing general operations assistance and/or
patient service tasks specific to the scope of the department.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care"
plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and
populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently
demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional,
ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth,
dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model
for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by
following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive
Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their
needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports
byenabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable
to the given job PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are
essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 35%
- Contributes to a positive work environment and to a dynamic,
team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve
optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the
interprofessional health care team by actively communicating and
reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a
comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Performs patient check in/check out functions. Obtains and
inputs accurate scheduling and registration data to initiate
financial clearance activities as needed. (EF)
- Coordinates patient flow as directed with consistency,
timeliness, and expert skill while meeting appropriate priority
standards. Provides appropriate notification of issues that may
result in service delays or denials. Handles add-ons, reschedules,
and cancellations appropriately and as per department protocol.
(EF) SERVICE - 25%
- Uses excellent communication skills (verbal, non-verbal,
written) to facilitate providing the highest quality service during
every patient, physician, guest, employee, or other encounter.
Responds promptly to requests by staff, patients, physicians, and
other members of the patient care team. Recognizes and responds
appropriately to urgent/emergent situations per protocols.
- Contributes to patient, employee and physician satisfaction as
well as effective revenue cycle process. (EF)
- Generates reports and assists with department correspondence.
Provides other administrative assistance as directed. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 15%
- Communicates to resolve patient access and quality service
matters. Keeps open channels of communication with physician,
patient, and service areas regarding action taken and resolution.
- Enters patient and operational data into various database
systems with a high level of thoroughness, accuracy and timeliness.
- Ensures patient information is conveyed to others appropriately
while complying with patient confidentiality and HIPAA regulations.
May assist clinical staff as per scope of the treatment center.
(EF) FINANCE - 20%
- Accurately records information when performing functions such
as charge entry, registration, scheduling, insurance
verification/coordination, or obtaining authorizations or referrals
to ensure financial objectives are met. Conducts front end revenue
cycle duties as directed. Educates patients and others regarding
billing processes and potential financial responsibilities as
- Organizes time effectively, minimizing incidental overtime, and
sets priorities. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently
and helps other team members. (EF)
- Uses department resources/equipment/supplies properly and
efficiently. Participates in inventory management by taking action
to ensure supply levels are adequate. (EF) GROWTH/INNOVATION -
- Generates and communicates new ideas and suggestions that will
improve quality or service. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline
competencies with a focus on continual development. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the
employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job
duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise
job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include:
GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full
completion of post-secondary education, etc.) EXPERIENCE
- One year of healthcare or related experience
- Experience in a healthcare related work environment preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- None KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely
perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills,
competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the
English language necessary to perform the essential functions of
this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or
employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians,
family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a
customer service focus and application of positive language
- Strong customer service, phone and scheduling skills
- Basic computer skills in word processing applications and
ability to utilize software systems such as the electronic medical
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
- Ability to analyze and solve problems SUPPLEMENTAL
Work Attire Yes/No Uniform No Scrubs No Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during
emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of
May require travel within No Houston Metropolitan area -
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area -
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Ability
to flex hours to meet operational needs related to unanticipated
volume changes or problems
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group - As one of the
nation's leading hospitals and academic medical centers Houston
Methodist has brought together some of the nation's leading experts
in multiple specialties to serve our patients. As part of Houston
Methodist Specialty Physician Group (HMSPG), these specialists not
only provide excellent clinical care, but are on the forefront of
research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and
teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. This combination of
clinical service, research and academics ensures patients have
access to the latest in treatments and technologies while providing
the best in comprehensive patient care. Established as a non-profit
corporation and certified by the Texas State Board of Medical
Examiners, HMSPG enables physicians to maintain autonomy with
respect to their clinical practice while growing their practice
within an academic environment.
Keywords: Houston Methodist, Sugar Land , Patient Services Representative - Neurology (Sugar Land), Other , Sugar Land, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...