Inventory Coordinator - OR Services - Sugar Land
Company: Houston Methodist
Location: Sugar Land
Posted on: May 3, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Inventory Coordinator position is
responsible for replenishment, monitoring, and analysis of
perioperative and non-perioperative asset inventories. This
position ensures supply of these inventories balance against demand
needs of our clinical and ancillary partners. The Inventory
Coordinator position monitors inventory transactions and key
performance indicators to ensure inventory accuracy, limit
expirations, and mitigate supply interruptions, while also
partnering with clinicians to trial and evaluate new supplies,
equipment and technology. Additionally, this position handles
supply non-conformities by responding to product recalls,
facilitating supply and communication flow with vendors, corporate
supply chain partners and clinical customers. The Inventory
Coordinator position requires a thorough knowledge of inventory
management systems, policies, procedures and practices related to
medical supply inventory management and provides a high level of
critical thinking and problem solving to find alternatives to
complex and diverse problems.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care"
plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and
populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently
demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional,
ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth,
dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model
for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by
following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive
Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their
needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports
byenabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable
to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are
essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Establishes and maintains formal and informal communication
with partners, clinicians and department leadership to identify
needs and constraints of specific areas to ensure product
availability. Facilitates communication on product sourcing for
substitutions, backorders and ordering processes. (EF)
- Develops, trains and mentors team members to build competency
of skills, knowledge and abilities to achieve a high level of
department service. (EF)
- Leads and initiates problem resolution within the work unit.
Facilitates teamwork by coordinating department needs and
responding positively to requests for assistance. Role-models
skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, to contribute towards
improving department efficiencies and customer satisfaction.
SERVICE - 20%
- Responsible for the replenishment activities of perpetual and
periodic average replenishment inventories to ensure inventory
levels are maintained to meet customer demand while mitigating
stock-outs and expirations. (EF)
- Primary accountability for electronic inventory management
system performance including calibration and management of sensing
systems, validation of date integrity for supply & location
databases and transaction management, reporting & auditing.
- Facilitates vendor communication and activities with internal
customers and stakeholders to ensure vendors are conducting
business within the set guidelines of Houston Methodist related to
product in-services, consignment management and provision of
clinical support. (EF)
- Collaborates with corporate buyers, value analysts, and item
master file teams to ensure the master file data integrity, as well
as a product's lifecycle i.e. from new product review,
incorporation in the inventory, ongoing use and evaluation.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Collects relevant data, compiles information for management
decisions and ensures the successful execution of department
services using appropriate resources. Reconciles data to determine
if department improvements are achieved. (EF)
- Forecasts, plans and executes replenishment orders and
deliveries to ensure supplies and equipment are available for
patient needs prior to, during and post-supply interruption events,
such as natural disasters, holidays, and backorder events.
- Coordinates the completion of actions required to respond to
notices of recall for assigned inventories. (EF)
FINANCE - 20%
- Establishes and monitors processes for control of perpetual and
periodic inventory transactions to ensure the supervised
inventories are accurate to the physical products on hand and
supplies are readily available for clinical use. Inventory
variances will be maintained within appropriate thresholds as
outlined by Houston Methodist department policies and guidelines.
- Uses critical thinking skills to manage accounts and inventory,
leaving no excess capacity of product, to limit product expiration
and mitigate expenses. (EF)
- Maintains and reports key financial and/or operational metrics
processes as directed by management. Utilizes efficient and
cost-effective work practices with department resources and
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Supports hospital and department goals and offers innovative
solutions through participation in department projects to improve
the efficiency and effectiveness of current practices. Assumes
responsibility for self-growth and development by participating in
in-services programs and continuing education. (EF)
- Works with management to identify, and take action on,
opportunities for product substitution, cost reduction, product
trends and comparison with other units and operational performance
improvement initiative. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the
employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job
duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise
job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include:
GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full
completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Associate's Degree preferred
- Five years of general Supply Chain experience or two
years of experience in inventory, data management and analysis
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely
perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills,
competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the
English language necessary to perform the essential functions of
this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or
employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians,
family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a
customer service focus and application of positive language
- Exhibits strong interpersonal teamwork and leadership skills
with all levels across the organization and assures delivery of
excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision
including but not limited to organizing workflows and actively
participating in problem solving.
- Proficient computer skills including, but not limited to,
knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including intermediate
knowledge of Excel to perform moderate to complex analyses of
inventory data, product data, project costs and manage product
- Demonstrates expert knowledge of products to address customer
|Other (dept approved)
||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during
emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of
|May require travel within
|Houston Metropolitan area
|May require travel outside
|of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job:
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving Fort Bend
and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely on a
level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that was
once available only in the Texas Medical Center. Houston
Methodist Sugar Land Hospital tied for No. 4 in Houston and
No. 6 (three-way tie) in Texas in U.S. News & World Report’s best
hospital rankings in 2020. With 316 operating beds, 24
operating rooms and over 2,400 employees, Houston Methodist Sugar
Land Hospital was designed to provide comprehensive, personalized
care for the community.
Keywords: Houston Methodist, Sugar Land , Inventory Coordinator - OR Services - Sugar Land, Other , Sugar Land, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!