Assistant, Field Operations
Department: Field Operations
Supervisor: Director, Field Operations
Classification: Full-time (Exempt)
As the Assistant, Field Operations, you will be an essential
part of the Field Operations team and help build Sugar Land
Skeeters memories that last a lifetime. In this role, you will
assist the Director, Field Operations as it relates to the care,
maintenance and improvement of the professional baseball playing
surface for the Sugar Land Skeeters. This position will ensure that
the playing surface is maintained above Major League playing
standards. The position will also assist in the oversight of the
activities of the Field Operations crew, as well as a variety of
other tasks that take place to maintain the integrity of the entire
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ensure that playing surface is always in optimal condition for
professional baseball events including daily infield
- Assist in the oversight of the mowing, fertilizing, treating
and maintenance of both the grass areas of the ballpark as well as
the infield areas.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local regulations
with regards to the application of fertilizers, herbicides or
- Ensure that the field is fully prepared and ready to use on
game day - free from irregularities in all playing surfaces that
may pose safety issues for the players.
- Assist in oversight of game day preparations of the field,
ensuring appropriate precautions and actions are taken in the event
of inclement weather conditions.
- Assist Director, Field Operations with hiring, training and
evaluating Field Operations staff.
- Proficient in the use and troubleshooting of mowers, tractors,
irrigation systems, fertilizer and chemical applicators, and other
equipment used in maintaining the field.
- In the absence of the Director, Field Operations, this position
shall be required to perform all field activities, supervise all
staff, and effectively communicate with other front office
Education and/or Experience:
- 2+ years as professional or college baseball Field Operations
Assistant, or Head Groundskeeper. The preferred candidate will have
already proven themselves as a successful leader on the baseball
field and in the sports field industry.
- History of successful sod installation work on short
- High-school diploma/equivariant required, college degree
- Proven experience working with baseball players, coaches, and
baseball administrators on a day-to-day basis
- 2+ years related experience including a solid knowledge of turf
maintenance supplies, materials and equipment and management of a
- Knowledge in the practices and principles related to turf
- 1+ years supervisory experience in similar capacity
- Pesticide license in turf/ornamental landscaping; Turf 3L
Pesticide license; Knowledge of IPM (Integrated Pest Management)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills, strong work ethic, desire to
excel, and willingness to learn
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to direct and lead an assigned seasonal Field
Position will work in an office and stadium environment. This
role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers,
phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise
level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium
- Ability to lift/move/carry items weighing up to 60 lbs on a
- Ability to lift/move items weighing up to 75 lbs on an
- Ability to use/operate typical grounds keeping hand tools,
implements, and power tools on a regular basis, for long periods of
- Ability to work in a hands-on position in all weather extremes
for extended periods of time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is
required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and
reach with hands and arms. The employee will be required to carry
and move packages up to 75 lbs.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are
Monday through Friday, 9AM to 5PM. Due to the nature of this
position, the position requires hours of work and days that include
frequent nights, weekends and holidays. This includes attendance at
all home baseball games and special events.
Rare travel maybe expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with
or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by