Part-time Human Resources Assistant
Company: Southwest Water Company
Location: Sugar Land
Posted on: March 15, 2020
Imagine being part of a team that supplies the essential element
for life. Water is the very foundation of this planet, the
life-giving essence in all organisms, including human bodies.
Without good, clean water, we couldn't survive and not a single
thing we see around us would be possible. Driven, knowledgeable and
passionate about this essential resource, the Texas Utilities team,
a subsidiary of SouthWest Water, is in the business of delivering a
product everyone uses and depends on. SouthWest Water owns and
operates regulated water and wastewater systems serving over half a
million residential and business customers in six states: Alabama,
California, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, and Texas.
We're proud of our work. Daily, we make a difference in the lives
of people by providing them water and wastewater services. Don't
wait, the opportunity is now to build yours and our planet's future
with SouthWest Water.
SouthWest Water is searching for a talented part-time Human
Resources Assistant to join our corporate location. We are looking
for someone who is nimble enough to reprioritize on a moment's
notice and has a "whatever it takes" work ethic. As the HR
Assistant, you will be the glue that holds the department together
and keeps it working like a well-oiled machine. Translation: many
small jobs involved. But just because much of what the role entails
is in the background, this does not mean these things aren't
essential to the daily functions of the department.
The Human Resource Assistant will perform administrative tasks and
services to support the effective and efficient operations of the
Texas Utilities human resource department.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Prepares and maintains accurate and up-to-date human resource
files, records, and documentation, which include personnel,
confidential, worker's compensation, and medical files.
- Manages and maintains HR file rooms, storage rooms, and offsite
- Responsible for the periodic purge of retention files and other
- Maintains monthly temp/contractor information and provides to
- Distributes HR mail, scanning mail to the Covina office as
- Performs clerical duties that include: ordering office
supplies, employee cards, and baby blankets, tracking gift card
acknowledgments, coding HR invoices and P-card statements, shipping
FedEx packages, ordering Federal and State labor law posters, and
creating purchase requisitions.
- Answers frequently asked questions from applicants and
employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring
processes, etc.; refers more complex questions to appropriate
senior-level HR staff or management.
- Serves as a backup for HRIS to input any necessary information
into SAP and uploading benefit feeds.
- Assists with the planning and execution of special events such
as benefits enrollment, organization-wide meetings, employee
engagement events, holiday parties, and retirement
- Replies to requests for verification of employment.
- Maintains updated organizational charts for Texas
- Assists with tracking and formatting of job descriptions.
- Distributes the monthly service awards.
- Creates purchase requisitions and goods receipts.
- Manages vendor file contracts
- Other duties as required.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to
solve a problem.
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal
- Confidentiality Maintain confidentiality with sensitive
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute
details of a project or task.
- Friendly - Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward
- Patience - Ability to act calmly under stress and strain, and
of not being hasty or impetuous.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with
others using the spoken word.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: High School diploma required, some college or Bachelor's
Experience: 2 years related experience
Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office with strong Excel
skills. SAP experience is a plus. Other Requirements: Work requires
the direct application of a variety of procedures, policies and/or
precedents. Moderate analytic ability is required in applying
guidelines, policies and precedents, and in adapting the standard
methods to fit facts. Requires moderate supervision under standard
operating procedures; function autonomously, with the supervisor
available to answer questions. Requires tact and cooperation in
scheduling/coordinating calendars, resolving problems and/or
obtaining necessary information from employees or outside
Keywords: Southwest Water Company, Sugar Land , Part-time Human Resources Assistant, Human Resources , Sugar Land, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!