Amerex, Director of Market Analytics, Retail Division - Exempt
Company: BGC Partners
Location: Sugar Land
Posted on: March 8, 2019
POSITION: Director of Market Analytics
DEPARTMENT: Amerex Energy Services
REPORTS TO: Chief Operations Officer and Amerex Retail Energy Manager
Founded in 1978, Amerex Brokers LLC is a leading over-the-counter energy brokerage offering services in electricity, natural gas, emission credits and allowances, renewable energy credits, data services and retail energy procurement consulting. Amerex offers liquidity and timely execution to meet the needs of a global client network of more than 1,000 firms. Amerex is a subsidiary of GFI Group Inc. ( GFI ) and a wholly owned indirect subsidiary of BGC Partners, Inc. ( BGC ) (NASDAQ: BGCP). The combined Amerex/GFI/BGC organization is one of the world s largest over-the-counter brokers of wholesale energy commodities.
Started in 2004, Amerex Energy Services (AES) is the retail consulting division which advises commercial, industrial, institutional and governmental entities in developing and implementing energy purchasing strategies. Operating in all deregulated electricity and natural gas markets across the U.S. and Canada, AES offers unmatched market intelligence and depth of experience in providing comprehensive energy price risk management services. Headquartered in Sugar Land, Texas, we offer a dynamic and fast-paced work environment centered on a culture of teamwork and growth.
DIRECTOR OF MARKET ANALYTICS
This role is a key contributor to Amerex s Technical Advisory Team, which serves as our primary resource for energy market analytics, intelligence, reporting and research. This team provides the foundation for providing knowledge and advising clients on appropriate energy procurement and risk management decisions. In order to succeed, you must possess a passion for learning and problem solving, along with flexibility and adaptability in order to respond to multiple requests of varying nature, from both clients and internal stakeholders. Many of these requests are of an ad hoc nature, with unpredictable timing and scope. Due to the heavy use of data necessary for research and reporting, this position requires strong analytical and computer skills in Microsoft Office and VBA to develop and enhance various models. These models will typically be used to analyze and provide risk analysis around complex transactions and portfolio hedging strategies.
This person will work cooperatively with and assist other members of the Technical Advisory Team to monitor electricity and natural gas price trends and forecasts, and review pricing quotes, including price components and complex structures from energy suppliers. This information and associated data will be used to develop analyses and recommendations to assist Amerex sales consultants and clients. This person must demonstrate a strong grasp of energy market knowledge and be able to communicate this knowledge effectively and persuasively, both in writing and verbally.
* Perform ad-hoc research and analyses of markets, pricing components, regulatory legislation, tariffs and other factors impacting energy prices, client opportunities and recommendations
* Create, develop and enhance reports, models, charts and graphs as necessary for consultants and clients, and provide maintenance and architectural support of associated models
* Communicate electricity and natural gas market intelligence
* Assist with load modelling and structuring, product evaluation and pricing analyses
* Prepare client performance and savings reports and budgets
* Ensure data integrity within all systems and infrastructure
* Support other members of the Technical Advisory Team as needed
* Distribute daily and weekly email market updates, and assist with monthly newsletters and quarterly webinars
* Participate in client conference calls and meetings with Energy Consultants as needed
* Bachelor s degree, preferably in Business, Finance, Math or Computer Science
* 2+ years professional experience, preferably in energy analytics or commodities
* Familiarity with deregulated U.S. electricity (ERCOT, PJM, NYISO, ISO-NE, CAL-ISO) and/or natural gas markets
* Understanding of electricity and natural gas fundamental and technical trends, and energy risk management
* Strong analytical and quantitative skills with large amounts of data
* High degree of computer literacy including extensive experience with MS Office, modeling and database capabilities (i.e., VBA, Access, SQL)
* Must maintain a high level of attention to detail and critical thinking skills, with minimal errors
* Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
* Work independently or engage others as needed to problem solve
* Adapt effectively to a changing and fast-paced team environment
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
* Must be self-motivated, possess a strong work ethic and initiative
* Must demonstrate a professional appearance and demeanor, and promote a positive work environment
* Ability to typically work normal office hours (8am to 5pm) plus additional flexible hours as needed based on demands
* Bilingual in Spanish is a plus
* Limited travel
Our salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications, and this position is eligible for performance-based bonuses. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) savings options and vacation time. Expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with company guidelines.
Newmark Knight Frank is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
Keywords: BGC Partners, Sugar Land , Amerex, Director of Market Analytics, Retail Division - Exempt, Hospitality & Tourism , Sugar Land, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!