Pharmacy Technician II - Evenings
Location: Sugar Land
Posted on: May 17, 2019
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital is seeking an experienced
Pharmacy Tech to work full time, evening shift.
The Pharmacy Technician II is an experienced Pharmacy Technician
who provides day-to-day comprehensive pharmacy services that range
from routine to advanced functions. Responsibilities include but
are not limited to: controlled substance management, chemotherapy
compounding, unit dose dispensing technology, satellite operating
room and intensive care unit pharmacy assignments, medication
histories, and advanced medication compounding. Helps manage data
collection and training new employees, residents, and interns. May
perform other functions normally associated with a Pharmacy
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently
demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional,
ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity,
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for
others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by
following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive
Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their
needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by
enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to
the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 30%
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a
dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to
achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with other health
care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or
achievement of identified patient specific goals.
2. Proactively supports and assists with training new employees and
all other pharmacy learners (e.g. residents, interns, students and
SERVICE - 15%
1. Assists with optimizing the safety and efficiency of pharmacy
operations and to support the workflow needs of the pharmacy
2. Contributes in departmental efforts to resolve drug related
problems and maximizing patient care.
3. Presents or assists in-services for pharmacy staff as directed
by Pharmacy Management. Participates in workgroups, committees, and
continuing education activities for technical staff.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 35%
1. Performs advanced technician services to ensure efficient and
safe medication distribution with activities that include but are
not limited to: controlled substance management, chemotherapy
compounding, unit dose dispensing technology, satellite Operating
Room and intensive care unit pharmacy assignments, medication
histories, and advanced medication compounding.
2. Provides support to the workflow, and reports problems to the
appropriate parties. Accurately documents and completes paperwork
for assigned role/function.
3. Reports near misses and inputs errors promptly into PSN to
improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to
identification of corrective actions and improvement activities,
and to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and
4. Collects and reports data related quality improvement and
productivity projects to optimize patient safety in a routine and
FINANCE - 15%
1. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Recommends
solutions in achieving departmental objectives.
2. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and
prioritize daily tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
1. Assists Pharmacy Management in planning, developing,
implementing, and monitoring new pharmacy programs and services
that address medication related errors and safety initiatives.
2. Identifies simple process improvement opportunities in the
medication distribution process.
3. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline
competencies with a focus on continual development as a Pharmacy
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the
employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job
duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise
job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
* High School Diploma or equivalent education (examples include:
GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full
completion of post-secondary education, etc.) ; two years of
* At least 2 years experience as a Pharmacy Technician in a
hospital setting; may consider a Pharmacy Technician with at least
one year experience as a Houston Methodist Pharmacy Technician
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Texas Pharmacy Technician Registration; or Pharmacist Intern
* Completion of the 40 hours Sterile Compounding and Aseptic course
from an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
approved training program within 90 days of employment
* ACPE approved IV certification within 90 days of employment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely
perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and
competency assessments; must demonstrates theses skills and
competencies within 90 days of employment
* Proficient in performing accurate calculations required for usual
* Must be proficient in at least three pharmacy work areas
* Possesses proficient computer knowledge; operates multiple
computer systems to include, Hospital / pharmacy related software,
drug preparation pumps/devices, packaging and labeling machines,
automated drug dispensing equipment, prescription balances, and
portable data processing units
* Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all
levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent
customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and
* Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision
including, organizing work flow and actively participating in
* Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the
English language necessary to perform the essential functions of
this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or
employee safety or security
* Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians,
family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a
customer service focus and application of positive language
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which
Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not
engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person
employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis
of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or
other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans
Since 1998, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving
Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely
on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that
was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. With 243
licensed beds, 20 operating rooms and over 1,900 employees, Houston
Methodist Sugar Land Hospital was designed to provide
comprehensive, personalized care for the community. APPLY.
Keywords: Methodist, Sugar Land , Pharmacy Technician II - Evenings, Healthcare , Sugar Land, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!