Nurse Educator - Med/Surg Days - Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital
Company: Houston Methodist
Location: Sugar Land
Posted on: March 9, 2019
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: Full Time
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital is seeking an experienced RN to join its Med/Surg team in a Nurse Educator capacity. The RN IV is staff nurse who is a unit-based clinical leader and scholar, and functions at the Expert level of Benners model of clinical practice. The RN IV provides direct patient care in addition to being accountable for the care outcomes of a clinical population. The RN IV leads and coordinates interdisciplinary activities focusing on clinical practice, consultation, education and research, incorporating evidence into practice. The RN IV uses expert communication skills to serve as patient and family advocate and to educate, mentor and coach staff in clinical and professional practice. The RN IV assumes an advanced leadership role in analyzing systems to anticipate/reduce risk and improve patient safety/quality. Responsibilities include contributions at the unit and housewide levels, with expectation to collaborate/manage/lead on system-wide and national initiatives. Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospitals Pillars of Excellence: People (providing direction and plans, leading and managing people, ICARE values) Service (patient/customer satisfaction, interpersonal effectiveness) Quality and Safety (making judgments and decisions) Finance (driving for performance excellence) Innovation and Growth (leading improvement and innovation, role-specific expertise) DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- LEADERSHIP (a). Provides care to complex patients and leads interdisciplinary care planning for identified patient populations. (Quality/Safety) (b). Leads colleagues and staff in identifying areas for improvement in patient care or unit operations and in developing solutions by participating in unit projects, shared governance activities or interdisciplinary team activities. (Growth/Innovation) (c). Provides leadership opportunities for professional growth of staff; coaches/mentors individuals to accomplishment of goals. (People) (d). Measures and analyzes resource allocation based on patient needs and staff experience, knowledge, and skills; contributes to unit plans for resource utilization and capital needs. (Finance) (e). Contributes to meeting departmental financial target on unit-based scorecard. (Finance)
- PATIENT/FAMILY-CENTERED CARE (a). Develops comprehensive plans of care in collaboration with patients and families; incorporates individual differences and preventive planning; mentors others regarding care of specific population. (Service) (b). Develops informational and educational resources for specific populations at the unit/service line/hospital level (Service) (c). Advocates for patients/families concerning ethical conflicts; develops supportive policies and guidelines; empowers patients/families to speak/represent selves when possible. (Service) (d). Contributes to meeting departmental target for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (Service)
- CLINICAL JUDGEMENT/CRITICAL THINKING (a). Demonstrates highly developed assessment, clinical, documentation, and analytical skills; recognizes subtle cues to change in patient condition; contributes to professional practice standards at hospital/regional/national level. (Quality/Safety) (b). Anticipates routine and unexpected changes based on intuition, experience, and evidence. Elevates emergent situations and leads/coordinates to resolution. Aids team with issue resolution. (Quality/Safety) (c). Contributes to meeting departmental targets for quality and safety measures on unit-based scorecard. (Quality/Safety)
- COMMUNICATION (a). Communicates in a comprehensive, unbiased, and open way with all health team members in the department and across the institution. (People) (b). Leads patient/family care rounds to assure patient safety and satisfaction. (Quality/Safety) (c). Coordinates the healthcare team to facilitate communication with patient and family across the continuum of care. (Service)
- TEAMWORK (a). Manages assignment of complex patients and other unit demands; mentors others in time management and resource utilization. (Quality/Safety) (b). Supportive of change process. Adapts to unexpected changes. Facilitates and leads the change process. (Growth/Innovation) (c). Facilitates active involvement of others in team meetings, unit activities, and process improvement. (People)
- SAFETY (a). Reports near misses as well as errors promptly and consis10tly to improve systems and processes and identify trends; role models situational awareness using teachable moments to improve safety. (Quality/Safety) (b). Leads improvements in patient safety processes at the unit, service line, and hospital level. (Quality/Safety) (c). Leads department initiatives to meet unit/hospital initiatives such as National Patient Safety Goals. (Quality/Safety)
- EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE/RESEARCH (a). Initiates and applies research in collaboration with Center for Professional Excellence, nursing or medical schools. (Innovation/Growth) (b). Leads and supports others in conducting evidence based practice/performance improvement projects and implementing findings. (Quality/Safety) (c). Develops or modifies practice standards and guidelines based on evidence. (Quality/Safety)
- STAFF EDUCATION (a). Expands own nursing knowledge and serves as instructor in continuing education or formal program and expert consultation; coaches staff to grow in knowledge, abilities, skills, and attitudes. (Growth/Innovation) (b). Identifies, plans, and implements education for the unit and service line in collaboration with team members and Center for Professional Excellence. (People) (c). Leads education and training of professional students through collaboration with faculty and supervising clinical activity. (People)
- PROFESSIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS (a). Maintains level of professional contributions as defined in Clinical Career Path program guide.
- Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement.
- Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
- Performs other duties as assigned. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing
- Masters degree required (Clinical Nurse Leader or Clinical Nurse Specialist preferred) EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 5 years of experience required with 2 years in specialty CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Registered nurse with current Texas license
- BLS through American Heart Association
- Other certifications as required by unit/service
- Magnet Recognized Certification in applicable clinical specialty SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Must be able to perform skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable.
- Basic computer skills.
- Must be able to write and speak effectively in English
- Competencies, skills, training as listed in Policy NU-903, Competence of Nursing Staff and HR 07 Competency Assessment
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since 1998, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital has been serving Fort Bend and the surrounding counties. Residents have come to rely on a level of compassionate care and leading-edge technology that was once available only in the Texas Medical Center. With 243 licensed beds, 20 operating rooms and over 1,900 employees, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital was designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
Keywords: Houston Methodist, Sugar Land , Nurse Educator - Med/Surg Days - Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Healthcare , Sugar Land, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!