Acute Dialysis Registered Nurse - RN - Dialysis
Company: Fresenius Medical Care
Location: Sugar Land
Posted on: September 18, 2023
Acute Dialysis Registered Nurse - RNPURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Inpatient RN provides direct patient care in accordance to
company policies and procedures which includes FMCNA compliance
programs and contracted hospitals' policies and procedures. Areas
of practice are diverse, including, but not limited to,
hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, continuous renal replacement
therapies, apheresis, and ultrafiltration. The Inpatient RN will
partner with the hospital to provide quality care to the patient
and deliver care that provides a positive patient experience.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Under limited supervision, applies considerable knowledge to
perform a broad range of tasks which include but are not limited to
direct patient care in multiple modalities not limited to
hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, ultrafiltration, continuous
renal replacement therapy, and Apheresis.
* Provides supervision and direction of Patient Care Technicians
and clerical staff; provides direction and education to ICU staff
* Responsible for direct patient care of assigned patients in the
Inpatient Renal Replacement and Apheresis Services setting and
providing the appropriate treatment technique for assigned patients
as prescribed in all modality procedures, as appropriately defined
- hemodialysis, peritoneal, continuous renal replacement therapies,
ultrafiltration, and Apheresis.
* Assesses patients' responses to treatment therapy making
appropriate adjustments and modifications to the treatment plan as
indicated by the appropriately credentialed physician. Communicate
problems or concerns to the Inpatient Program Manager,
appropriately credentialed physician, patient hospital primary
nurse and others as indicated.
* Delivers safe, effective care in a timely an efficient
* Gives organized, concise shift reports for patients on assigned
shifts. Apply high level thinking skills to shift patient schedules
to meet needs of more critical patients due to labs, MD order, or
* Responsible for the implementation, administration, monitoring,
and documentation of patient's response to prescribed intradialytic
transfusions, including appropriate notification of adverse
reactions to physician and appropriate blood supplier.
* Collaborates and communicates with physicians and other members
of the healthcare team to interpret, adjust, and coordinate daily
patient care plan to ensure continuity of care.
* Initiates and communicates to FMS facility nursing staff and
appropriate hospital personnel as needed.
* Accurately documents all treatment information in the individual
patient record (ACES) and the hospital record, as needed.
* Cleans and disinfects dialysis machine surface, chair, equipment,
and surrounding areas between treatments according to inpatient
renal services policies and procedures.
* Conducts all tasks necessary for preparation for dialysis
treatment and documents where appropriate.
* Performs all required pre-treatment dialysis machine alarm
* If applicable, initiates Solution Delivery System.
* Operates all related equipment appropriately and safely and
provides minor trouble shooting when necessary; efficiently
utilizes supplies to prevent waste.
* Understands, conducts, and documents appropriately
Dialysis/Apheresis machine safety tests/alarm tests, equipment
calibration, dialysate testing, machine safety tests, functional
testing, and internal and external disinfection on all water &
dialysis machines, and complies with the documentation/notification
standards per FMS policies.
* Completes and documents ongoing participation in QAI
* Participates in staff meetings as scheduled.
* Participates in staff training and orientation as assigned.
* Acts as a subject matter expert to hospital staff for dialysis
related patient/equipment complications.
* Responsible for reporting all new or unusual incidents,
information, complaints, or problems to the inpatient manager and
other parties per the Adverse Event Report requirements. May be
assigned to in-center patient care on an as needed basis
* Review and comply with the Code of Business Conduct and all
applicable company policies and procedures, local, state and
federal laws and regulations.
* Assist with various projects as assigned by direct
* Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
* The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
* Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness
test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara
Test for Color Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company
will consider whether reasonable accommodations can be made.
* Direct patient care, interaction with patients, outpatient
clinicians, hospital staff, and physicians. The position requires
travel between assigned hospitals and facilities; as well as travel
to regional meetings/educational events.
* Position requires on call rotation including night, day, weekend,
* There is potential for exposure to potentially infectious
material and contagious diseases/material.
* Position provides direct patient care which regularly involves
heavy lifting, moving of patient and/or equipment > 200lbs (with
assistance); and may lift chemical and water solutions of up to
30lbs up as high as 5 feet.
* Provides supervision and direction of Patient Care Technicians
(Certified Clinical Hemodialysis Technicians (CCHT)) and clerical
staff; provides direction and education to ICU staff for CRRT.
* Current appropriate state licensure.
* Maintains acquired knowledge and remains current in advancements
in nephrology, in particular, relative to inpatient care
(hospitalized patients requiring varied treatment modalities, not
limited to Renal Replacement, Apheresis, and Ultrafiltration
* Must meet the practice requirements in the state in which
* Certification in Nephrology Nursing, Apheresis Nursing, or both
is highly encouraged.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
* One year RN experience required and required nursing skills.
* Minimum 6 months nephrology experience required before working
independently with no other Dialysis RNs to provide dialysis and
* Minimum 6 months Nephrology experience required before working
independently with no other Apheresis RNs to provide Apheresis
* Demonstrated strong assessment skills related to the critically
* ICU experience preferred but not required.
* Successful completion of training course in the theory and
practice of care of the ESRD patient - Progressive Renal Education
* BLS CPR Recognition.
* ACLS CPR Recognition preferred, but not required.
* Demonstrates organizational and time management skills, and a
competency toward completing continuing and ongoing
* Displays leadership skills and ability to direct and supervise
others (such as PCTs, CCHTs, clerical staff).
* Successful completion of Nurses Technical Training.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Care, Sugar Land , Acute Dialysis Registered Nurse - RN - Dialysis, Healthcare , Sugar Land, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!